Open Science Declarations

On this page I have listed open science declarations of my research and teaching efforts. The point of these declarations is to show how open science choices are made throughout the research and teaching processes, and to identify obstacles that may arise in the endeavour to be as open as possible in my academic practices.


Information Seeking, 5 ECTS, Åbo Akademi University (ÅA)

  • General information about course content: Link to course
    • The course is run as a self-study course with prerecorded lectures. I opted to use the previous lecturer’s recordings (as they are the one I’m subbing for anyway) so I didn’t produce a lot of new material for this course.
  • Many general tools are similar to what was used in the course Knowledge Organization, so please see that section for an open science review of softwares and tools. (This concerns: Moodle, PDFs, and Panopto.)
  • In the assignment on evaluation of results from search engines, I exchanged the previously mandated use of Google in favour of Qwant, a French, EU-based search engine which claims to respect users’ privacy and not use advertising tracking. (I have heard some criticism, e.g. in the Wikipedia article, of Qwant so I’d be happy to discuss and review this use – maybe DuckDuckGo is a better alternative?)
  • Course literature:

Knowledge Organization, 5 ECTS, Åbo Akademi University (ÅA)

  • General information about course content: Link to course
  • ÅA uses the Moodle learning platform, which is open source software. (Might interest you to know that the very common learning platform (or LMS – learning management system) Canvas is also open source (I thought it wasn’t!), here’s an interesting article about that.)
  • Presentations for lectures were made in LibreOffice Impress
    • The fonts used in presentations was Nunito Sans, licensed under the Open Font License. (Except the very first presentation, in which I used Avenir Next which I mistakenly thought was open.)
    • The images used in presentations were either from the slide deck provided in templates from ÅA, screenshots of my own work, or openly licensed images from the following sources: Wikimedia Commons, Pixabay or Unsplash. (A few exceptions here as well: I used meme images of Star Trek captains drinking hot beverages to introduce Zoom coffee breaks, and as we know meme images is gray zone copyright-wise.)
  • Presentations were shared with the students as PDFs (1.6), which admittedly is a difficult format when it comes to openness.
  • Code examples for the course were made in Atom 1.58.0.
  • Online lectures were held in Zoom, which is the preferred video client in use at ÅA.
  • Video recordings of the presentations were made available through Panopto, a video editing software in use at ÅA which is not open source.
  • Demonstration of webpages were done in Mozilla Firefox 92.0.
  • For an exercise during online class I used Padlet, which is free to use (i.e. I probably pay with my data) but not open source. I should look into these alternatives but I simply didn’t have the time to this time around.